The Building is clearly in need of urgent renovation work and repairs in order to stem the tide of its rapid deterioration. However, despite the building’s current derelict condition, The Tab is looking to progress as quickly as possible with its project of restoration and modernisation to enable the building once again to be put to use serving the people of Lewisham.
All of this has meant that today the current condition of the building is extremely poor as is evident from any cursory inspection of the building fabric. The entire building is rapidly deteriorating with water ingress being the current main culprit. In the most recent condition survey a large list of action points was summarised which included:
- Strip and re-slate all roofs across the building including insulation, and fire damaged beams
- Associated sump lead work and timber repairs
- Dormer window and cupola repair / renewal
- Reconstruction of Atrium lantern light
- Rainwater goods and drainage system repairs
- External masonry and render repair including conservation of detailing
- Reconstruction of rear hall leaning end gable wall
- Ground floor windows / shop front and cornice repairs
- First floor window conservation and secondary glazing
- Structural floor repairs
- Basement essential repair and damp proofing to return to use
- Refurbishment and plastering to all walls and ceilings internally.
- Installation of essential services for electric, gas and water
What have we done since becoming the owners?
Since becoming the new owners of the building, and in response to the current derelict and deteriorating condition in which we have found the building, you will see that we have been busy with the following:
- Commissioned various independent reports from an independent heritage expert, including a heritage significance and heritage impact report.
- Commissioned detailed condition survey of the internal and external areas of the building, including the roof and the middle hall rooflight.
- Stripped away unnecessary false ceilings and walls installed by successive former owners.
- Removed asbestos from the areas found to be contaminated.
- Liaised with Lewisham Planning Department regarding proposals and plans.
- Corresponded with the Victorian Society.
- Evicted first set of squatters who were hosting raves in the building and subsequently evicted a second set of squatters following a later 3 month squat.
- Following eviction we had to arrange for the professional chemical cleaning of various areas of the building used by drug users and dogs.
- Commissioned an approved green travel plan survey which resulting in almost the highest available “PTAL” rating.
- Commissioned various architectural proposals.